At first I thought both brands had a simple, retro redesign until I noticed the boxes were unchanged at other stores. This left me wondering why until one of my favorite new website, The Dieline, a package design website, informed me that the new boxes were a Target exclusive summer promotion.
I'm not too sure I love the design idea. I like the simplicity, but looking at them on the shelf my first reaction was a generic, cheap product.
- Who pays for this promotion - Target or Nabisco?
- What are the benefits of exclusive store packaging? Does having a unique brand for just one store really work?
- What is the goal of this promotion?
- Will it really sell more cookies and crackers and will people know they came from Target, or even care they came from Target.
- Does exclusive store packaging make you want to go to the store because of the special packaging?
What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Even though I pick up extra items at Target each time I shop, I did not buy the exclusive Ritz Crackers or Oreo Cookies. Maybe the Target packaging didn't make a strong enough imPRession on me. On the other hand, it made me curious enough to research it and make a post about it. Hmmm.